Chief of: Getting Things Done.
Dan is an experienced and sought after valuation expert.
With deep experience in M&A, his point of reference goes beyond debits and credits. His background in M&A transactions gives keen insight to “what it’s really worth.” He focuses his practice on helping shareholders drive value growth in their company.
Mr. Doran is a seasoned valuation professional with experience in performing valuations on a wide range of businesses in both size and type. Mr. Doran has performed business valuations since 2004. He has completed over a thousand valuations in various industries including, amongst others:
- Government and defense contractors
- IT (SaaS, managed services, DevOps, e-tail, more)
- Professional Services
- Distribution, Transportation and Logistics
- Retail – Multi-location, franchise
- Many others – CV available on request
In addition to completing valuations on a standalone basis, Mr. Doran is also deeply experienced in valuation on a more practical basis as part of actual M&A transactions.
Early in his career Dan was a key member in a bankruptcy turnaround / leveraged buyout, and worked at GE on large restructuring projects. He was also an active duty Army Officer (Cavalry – Scouts Out!).
In his spare time Dan is an avid outdoor enthusiast, has climbed mountains the world over, and enthusiastically tries to see the farthest corner of the world.
- “Is Your Client Jeopardizing Their Retirement?” Financial Advisor Magazine, April 2017
- “When Life Insurance Impacts the Deal: Considerations for Lenders,” Banking New England, April 2017
- “3 Secrets to making your business more sellable,” Virginia Business, February 2017
- “Selling Your Startup to a Large Corporation: Dilemma or Opportunity?” All Business, January 2017
- (Quoted) “But Did You Die? Keep the Business Alive If You’re Not Around,” The Mid-South Bazaar, February 2017
- “4 Ways Your Business Might Be Worth More Under Trump,” Business2Community, January 2017
- “Family Businesses Should Beware Proposed Estate Tax Regulations”, OpEd, Washington Business Journal, December 2016
- (Quoted) “How Hillary’s Plan to Raise the Estate Tax Could Hurt Small Business”, CNBC Online, October 2016
- (Quoted) “Small Business is up in Arms Over Hillary’s Plan to Raise Estate Tax,” Yahoo News, October 2016
- “Strategic Partnerships Equal Magic Math”, Virginia Business Journal, September 2016
- “Can a Great Brand Enhance Value?,” Virginia Business Journal, May 2016
- “Valuation Red Flags in an Uncertain Economy,” Banking New York, April 2016
- “Enhancing Value,” Compoundings Magazine, April 2016
- “What can we learn about growth from fast growing tech startups?,” NJ Biz, March 2016
- “Business Growth Hacks to Boost Your Value,” Thinking Bigger Magazine, January 2016
- “Choosing a Business Appraisal Firm,”” Construction Business Owner Magazine, January 2016
- “Triple Play: How to Focus Your Efforts on Growing Your Business,” NJ Biz, January 2016
- “Triple Play: What to do Before Selling Your Business,” NJ Biz, November 2015
- “Inside the Valuation Process: a Primer for Commercial Lenders” Banking New York, Nov/Dec 2015
- “The Value if Your Business is Key to Retirement Planning.” Virginia Business Journal, November, 2015.
- “Inside the Valuation Process: a Primer for Commercial Lenders” Banker and Tradesman, Nov/Dec 2015
- “Four Quick Tips for a Successful Business Appraisal,” Construction Business Owner Magazine, December 2015.
- “Inside the Valuation Process: a Primer for Commercial Lenders” Banking New England, Nov/Dec 2015
- “How Long Does a Valuation Last?” Axial (Middle Market Capital Sourcing platform). April, 2015.
- “Boost the Value of Your Business Before it’s Time to Sell.” Virginia Business Journal, July 2015.
- Featured Author, Morgan and Westfield (Middle Market Investment Bank).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “The Five Stages of Value Maturity,” Matthews, Carter, & Boyce, June 2017
- “Understanding Exit Options: ESOP vs. M&A,” Moderator, April 2017
- “Meet the Valuators,” Fairfax County Bar (Business Law Section), February 16, 2017
- “Are You Exit Ready? You Can’t Take it With You”, CPE event, February 1, 2017
- “New Year, New Admin: M&A, Valuation, and Owner Exits,” Panel Moderator, January 2017
- “Owner Transitions: Value, Risks, and Opportunities,” CPE for New Jersey Society of CPAs, September 2016
- “Exit Planning Bootcamp,” presented in Newark, NJ, September 2016
- “Business Valuation 101,” presented in Alexandria VA, August, 2015
- “Valuation Matters for Closely Held Companies,” International Lubricant Manufacturers Association annual meeting, 2016, Bermuda.
- National Business Institute faculty member, 2015: “Business Valuation: What Attorney’s Need to Know,” CLE presented in Virginia Beach, VA
- National Business Institute faculty member, 2015: “Business Valuation: What Attorney’s Need to Know,” CLE presented in Virginia Beach and Fairfax, VA
U.S. Military Academy, West Point
Certified Valuation Analyst
Certified Exit Planning Advisor
Published & Quoted
Financial Advisor Magazine
Washington Business Journal
US News & World Report
Banker and Tradesman
Construction Business Owner Magazine
Banking New York
Washington DC Exit Planning Chapter
Chair / Co-founder
Has wrangled a hog, climbed big mountains around the world, and likes black licorice.